Excellent safe bleaching for laundry, carpet cleaning, general cleaning & much more!
You’ve heard of products such as OxiClean, OxyBoost, Vanish and Tide laundry detergent. They all contain Sodium Percarbonate, also known as Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate, or oxygen bleach powder. Dissolved in water, preferably hot, it yields a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and Sodium Carbonate. Packs a powerful punch whilst being safe for the environment. It stays active for 5-6 hours and then breaks down to oxygen, water and sodium.
The good news is that it is very affective at boosting detergents, removing stains and cheap cleaning. It’s widely available and is very cheap to buy. Just Google it or look on eBay. A must for all green cleaning enthusiasts. Always keep some for a rainy day. You’ll be glad you did!
Did I mention it’s a fantastic deodoriser in addition to being effective at killing bacteria, fungus, viruses and algae. Great!
Let’s Look at Some of the Benefits
- No environmental hazards – breaks down to oxygen, water and sodium carbonate
- Kills a wide range of bacteria, mildew, algae, viruses, fungi
- Colour and fabric safe. It brightens colours and prevents fabrics from becoming yellowed or darkened
- Effective stain removal on a multitude of surfaces
- In the laundry Sodium Percarbonate is used to destain, deodorise, and whiten. It is very effective as a laundry pre-soak for heavily stained articles.
- A detergent booster – turbo charge your cleaning solutions – for example: carpet cleaning detergent
- It is really cost-effective – cleaning on a budget has never been easier
- It stores very well and keeps for ages – unlike liquid sodium peroxide
- Only active for 5-6 hours – so don’t make too much
- It will expand sealed containers – if in a spray bottle allow for expansion and spray often
- Easy to get carried away and make too much
- Looks harmless – so make sure it’s kept away from kids and labelled!
- Can burn if left on your skin
- Dangerous if splashed in your eyes
Sodium Percarbonate Technical Specs
- Molecular Formula: Na2CO3 1.5H2O2
- Purity: >88%
- Appearance: white solid
- Molar Mass: 157.01 g/mol
- Solubility: 150 g/l
- Available oxygen: approx 13%
- pH: 10.4 – 10.6
- Other Names: PCS, sodium percarbonate, solid hydrogen peroxide, Sodium carbonate hydrogen peroxide, sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate, oxygen bleach
It converts to the equivalent of 27.5% hydrogen peroxide, once mixed, which is 13% oxygen content – if that makes sense. The important bit is the 27.5% peroxide.
How Much do I Use?
The million dollar question. Doesn’t normally come with instructions. Have a look on an Oxy product and basically follow that rule. After a while you will find out what works. For carpet cleaning I would use approximately 15-25 grams per litre, in a small machine used at home. Don’t forget to use detergent. If you need a carpet stain remover try 30 grams to 1 litre of hot water (in a spray bottle).
As a laundry detergent booster add half the amount you would use in powdered detergent. Simply add to your washing or in the draw.
For general cleaning add about 50 grams to 1 litre. As a grout cleaning paste simply mix the granules with enough hot water to form a paste.
Add 30-50 grams to 1 litre of water for cleaning wooden decking. Scrub it in and leave about 1 hour. Rinse, preferably with a jet washer. Voila! Super clean decking. Repeat regularly to keep it tip top condition.
Water Treatment – Sodium Percarbonate
Not for use in drinking water!!!
Sodium percarbonate is a quick oxygen-releasing agent, increases the oxygen concentration of water for a long period of time. It improves the water quality and degrades the organic matter of water to reduce the toxicity of ammonia, nitrogen, H2S and algae. Applications include treatment of biological upsets in ponds, treatment of sludges, municipal sewage treatment, dechlorination and water softening. In sewage treatment it helps to reduce the chemical oxygen demand and improve biodegradability. Neutralises pollutants such as sulphides, nitrosamines, amides, chlorine and thiosulphate.
Sodium Percarbonate Summary
I love it! The best product I have ever used. So many applications, its a joke. Did I say, “I love it”. If you have never used it then you are missing a trick. Go green and enjoy! It will replace so many cleaning products. Saves money! Saves the environment!